The Brit Awards (that’s the British Phonographic Industry’s annual pop music showdown) take place next Tuesday, and there are scads of pop tart dynamos to be grateful for this year. Too many to name, in fact, but here, in no particular order, are a few of my favorite artists competing in one category or another:
1. Mika brings Freddie Mercury-style epicism and hyperactive, Technicolor 2010 flamboyance.
2. Dizzee Rascal offers linguistic gymnastics, shark costumes, and rock-solid party tracks.
3. La Roux having a straight-from-the-heart, Annie Lennox kind of moment.
4. Florence and the Machine being all sublime and ghostly. Harps and shouting.
5. Bat for Lashes singing the haunting and melodic “Daniel.”
Follow Evan James on Twitter.