Support your local starving journalist! Buy a newspaper. Like Slate’s recent “Buy One Anyway” video says, “I won’t even skim the headlines, but it’s good to know that a copy editor in Nebraska will have something warm to eat tonight.” Right. Just imagine all the things you’ll be able to do with your next newspaper, no reading required:
1. Keep veggies fresh: Use newspapers to line vegatable drawers in your refrigerator. The newspapes will absorb moisture and reduce smells.
2. Dry your shoes: Crumple up newspapers and place inside wet shoes or boots to help soak up excess moisture.
3. Clean up an oil spill: Use newspaper to clean up a small oil (or gas) spill on the floor of your garage. Newspapers are absorbent and will reduce the chance of a permanent stain on your garage floor.
4. Ripen tomatoes: Works like a paper bag. Wrap the fruits individually in a few sheets of newspaper. Be sure to thoroughly wash before eating.
5. Iron clothes: Stack newspapers, slip into pillowcase, and make surface as level as possible. Use as temporary ironing board.